Thursday, October 11, 2007

The downward spiral....

Why is it, when things start to look up...everything all of a sudden falls apart at the seams.
My husband has been laid off since April..we have both been hunting for, and replying to any and all jobs we find that has even the most remote of possibilities. In EVERY state.
We live in Michigan, and the economy here is the worst in the country, we have the highest unemployment rate in the nation.. homes are being foreclosed on left and right. There are NO jobs here pertaining to what my husband has been trained to do. He is a Field Engineer/Project Manager, specializing in roads, bridges, highways, airports and light rail systems. The problem we are facing however, is, he does not have his degree OR his P.E. ( professional engineers license ). When he started in this business 25 years ago, he was going to school, finished his Associates degree, and was about to go on to get his engineering license... and then he got transferred.. after that, he was constantly on the move, and never finished. He didn't need to.. jobs were plentiful, employers didn't care if he had his degree or not. And now.. with so MANY engineers out of work, employers can afford to be very picky.. and they are. Even jobs that really do NOT need that P.E. are now asking for one. My husband is damn good at what he does... he prides himself on that... but now, well, no one cares . We are also afraid his age has factored into his not finding employment. He just turned 50.. and that seems to be a death sentence now.
He went from making a six figure income to... 10 grand.. a YEAR average, on unemployment. We don't even have 1,000 a month coming in, and our bills JUST the necessities are close to 3 grand per month. We dried up our savings and his severance pay 3 months ago. We had just enough to get by on for three months....now we can't pay anything except our car insurance, our washer/dryer payment and we can manage food. THAT'S IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am at my wits end.. hell.. degreed people are working at McDonalds or WalMart !!! I don't see any end in sight.. and with winter almost upon us.. ALL hiring in his field comes to a screeching halt.
I don't know what we are going to do. We have a ten year old son who is depending on US to take care of him.. we are barely doing that. BARELY. the stress and pressure are mounting, and it is taking it's toll on everyone in our house.. and even those outside of it. We are short tempered... our emotions are right on the surface and anything can set them off.. even tiny, simple things. I cry ALL the time... I don't want to wake up in the morning to face yet another day of this hell.. and even if I DO get out of bed.. I barely function, sometimes not even taking a shower.
I have supported my husband through thick and thin, through many, many major upheavals in our life together. I have stood by him without wavering once.I have fought FOR and WITH him.. to keep our marriage alive...we have been through SO MUCH in our twelve years together.. and now.. well...I just don't see a light at the end of the tunnel. Not even a glimmer of one.
I am hanging on by a thread.. my only lifeline is the love I have for my husband and my son. The only hope I have is to see us through one more day... just one more.. it has to get better.... RIGHT ????????????

4 Comments:

At 8:33 PM, Blogger Biddie said...

It HAS to get better. It has to. I keep telling myself that, too.
I am going to keep praying for you. I don't know if it's helping, but it can't hurt.
Right?
Hugs,
Biddie xx

 
At 2:49 PM, Blogger CindyDianne said...

Hi, my first time here was today. It sounds like you have an awful lot, and not a lot good, going on right now! I'll be thinking about you!

 
At 9:51 PM, Blogger Cynnie01 said...

thank you.. to both of you, and ...welcome to my life, cindydianne, such as it is. i have had this blog for two years and up til recently NO ONE has read it.. well.. except for HER.. but i won't go there.
thank you "B" for all your thoughts and prayers.. they do mean a lot to me. and thank you cindydianne, for thinking good thoughts for me :) it is nice to "meet" you !

 
At 10:35 PM, Blogger Biddie said...

I knew that my friends would make their way over at some point!
I have the BEST blog buddies ever, and I hope that you start to make some friends, too. They have been such a huge source of support to me.....
Are you feeling any better? I hope that things are improving for you.
Big hugs xxx

 

Post a Comment

<< Home